Regulator Banner Image

Go Back   Southwest Regulators Forums > News & Updates > Paintball News
Navigation Donate! Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 1st December 2013, 11:14
Lieutenant, SW Regulator

Gallery: 101
FIRST STRIKE projectiles Ė How dangerous are they?

Iíve noticed the popularity of FIRST STRIKE rounds from Tiberius Arms gaining steam in the paintball community. First Strike rounds can give a player a significant advantage in accuracy (25 times better according to TA) and distance (2x) over a player using traditional paintballs, but theyíre probably not worth the money, or the trouble in the long run. They are dangerous*; and I have a theory why. Iím not a scientist, nor can I claim to be an expert in physics. I can only report on what I have experienced, and what Iíve witnessed at scenario paintball events.

On June 9th, 2013 at Giant Lakeside, I was shot was hit in the neck by a First Strike round from over 100 feet away. Now, Iíve been playing scenario paintball since 2004, and I have never felt or heard anything like it before. I have never been hit by an ASP baton either, but I imagine being sucker punched in the neck with an ASP would feel similar to getting shot in the neck from a First Strike round 100 plus feet away.

I was shocked. The sound alone was enough to demoralize an experienced player. I thought I had done something wrong and was being punished for failing to stay behind cover. Then I did something I had never done before; I immediately sought the player that hit me. I wanted to know what he was using. When he told me it was a First Strike round, I understood.

I have since noticed other players claiming to have been hit by First Strike rounds. And Iíve seen their welts. On September 22nd, 2013, at Decay of Nations, a player from the Grey Knights was rocked in the head by a First Strike round and taken out of the game. When I saw him 20 minutes later, he was doing bad, and he was that way for a good part of the day. I never learned what his diagnosis was, but I wouldnít wish that suffering on anyone.

For the rest of this post I am going to refer to them as First Strike projectiles. Take a look at the graphics. Itís a PROJECTILE, not a PAINTBALL (Tiberius Arms even refers to them as projectiles). Doesnít come close to being a paintball. The tip of the projectile doesnít even look like a half a paintball. You can see the plastic (or whatever material TA uses) Hardened Rim predominant in my neck wound below.

Iíve taken taken a series of photos to document the healing process of my wound. I know some of you have had welts that have looked worse, but this was the worst Iíve experienced from that long of a distance.

As you notice from the chart**, and correct me if I am wrong here, but it appears that if both markers were set a 300 fps, then the impact felt from a FS projectile at 100 feet would feel like a regular paintball at 40 feet. If you are going to use First Strike projectiles in your markers, I IMPLORE YOU, DO NOT get in close and use them. And PLEASE do not shoot the player in the head if you do. Shoot them in the chest or something (theyíll feel it, for sure).

*Please understand that this is just my opinion and not the necessarily the opinion of the Southwest Regulators or their affiliates.
**This chart is on the Tiberius Armsí website. Here is the link:

http://www.tiberiusarms.com/first-strike-paintball/

10 minutes after the First Strike.

The next day.

June 11th. Two days later.

June 16th. 7 days after impact.

June 20th. 11 days after impact.

August 9th. 61 days after.

August 26th. 78 days after.

November 29th. 173 days after.

Rib_2015-05Rib_2014-09Rib_2015-05Rib_2014-09
Old 1st December 2013, 22:00
Retired

Gallery: 0
I fully agree the FSP's should not be used in close quarters, short fields or range of fire. Maybe it's time for the fields that set up games to lay down ground rules for use of FSP's. Snake got bunkered by a guy using them at a mag fed game. He was shot 3 times within 5' of the shooter causing severe welts and bleeding.
This needs to be reigned in and controlled before someone is seriously injured and they are banned from all use. I think under 50yds they should not be used or allowed, but this is just my opinion and desire to not see people not out of the game.

Ripping Lips and Painting Faces, that's what I do

SW REGULATORS Proudly Sponsored by LAPCO, Military Assault Gear and Tiberius Arms
Old 2nd December 2013, 15:04
Lieutenant, SW Regulator

I agree Fishball. A player might have every intention of hanging back, sniping, but then you might find yourself creeping forward, and the next thing you know, you're in the thick of it. They'd be great for law enforcement training or something similar, but personally, if I had a field, I wouldn't allow them.

Old 2nd December 2013, 17:16
LT - SW Regulator

Gallery: 10
Great post Greyhound! I feel there is some safety concerns with the firstrike rounds, but I still think they are great for longer distances sniping. I find them to expensive for regular paintball.

SW REGULATORS Proudly Sponsored by LAPCO & Tiberius Arms
Old 2nd December 2013, 19:13
REG CMDR

Gallery: 366
I was hit in the Decay of Nations 7 in oct ,3 months. I still have a dark bruise on my leg. "Paintballs" never have left a mark on me so hideous for so long. When home and I really saw it... It was a oblong hard mass like a golfball size... inside my leg. Stayed like a bout 4 weeks before it started to go down. Now it looks like I just hit yesterday. LOL

This will be a deal breaker for new players if they get hit like that.

This is a bullet not a ball to be sure and it ain't going away. Players will soon be "asked" to turn there chrono down and watch there range. With so many players going to FSR, new players will get too hard. This is not what paint-ball was about.

If one gets hit close range with a ball you are going to get a nasty welt. We give out awards for this.. suffering for the sport/team. I get it that, but..

Add the probability now of longer range hits with close range hits.
This projectile has considerably more energy at impact too.
Check the chart, at 40 ft FSR its traveling 10-15ft more faster than a ball... more energy.
You will get hit more often with higher consequences.
All this just will not help the growth of paintball.

Great Post LT!

Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and fast is deadly
SW REGULATORS Proudly Sponsored by LAPCO, Military Assault Gear

Last edited by MajMalfunkshun : 2nd December 2013 at 19:43. Reason: Great Post LT!
Old 3rd December 2013, 12:42
First Sergeant, SW Regulator

I cover up when I play anytime now, especially with mag fed players. Personal safety precludes not wanting to wear protective clothing while playing, either to be lighter or cooler. You all notice I wear the same thing each time I play: Head to toe, long sleeve combat shirt, no matter the weather, GOOD gloves, shemagh, the full cover. The FS round is a stand off weapon but when close .. ouch. If you roll up on it, your call, right? I usually know when a FS round went by me due to the crack as it passes. If I don't take coverv immediately, it's over. Bad paint that doesn't break is worse to me, IMO. I've been knocked silly by more than one of those. When I do get hit with a FS round, personally speaking now, it's more pride and psychological (getting sniped always is) than physically hurt and I've had that "ring" left by a round or eight. I play alot with the maggies. Means I'm getting slow, uh slower ... and that means they don't have to lead me as far, if at all anymore. Also, chrono with the FS rounds is a must, expensive but should be looked at more closely than a normal round.

The shot GH took was closer than probably what should have been but how does a field control that? I don't want to sound flippant but when you shoot stuff at each other, some times you're the bat and sometimes you're the ball. If there are newbies playing, any amount of them, the FS round shouldn't be allowed unless the risks are explained clearly before people pay and sign up or have split game sup between FS/reg paint and reg paint round games. Or another type of waiver because Mage is correct, this type of shot is a deal breaker for some. I know it would be for my kids to be playing, me, not so much.

* GIZMO * Sergeant-Southwest Regulators * Operator Strike Force * American Badass *
* Surprise, speed, violence of action ... want to play a game? *

SW REGULATORS Proudly Sponsored by LAPCO, Military Assault Gear and Tiberius Arms
Old 4th December 2013, 16:00
Staff Sergeant - SW Regulator

Gallery: 4
Greyhound great write up, I also believe this needs to be looked at more seriously in the paintball scene. As others have posted this could prevent newbies from returning to our sport. Just look at how Deelux, HardMac and the GreyKnights looked after they came off the field at DON 7. The shields were destroyed after some battles and the MEC suits were also following the same pattern. Granted we are just week end warriors, we still lead real lives with real jobs and some of the companies out there might start to frown upon their employee showing up for work looking like they just went 5 rounds in the UFC title fight.

X7,A5 OR 98CP DECISIONS, DECISIONS
Old 4th December 2013, 16:28
First Sergeant, SW Regulator

I also read today there is a box mag in development for the FS round .. that's nuts and IS a deal breaker if I get hit with one and his 7 buddies.

* GIZMO * Sergeant-Southwest Regulators * Operator Strike Force * American Badass *
* Surprise, speed, violence of action ... want to play a game? *

Old 5th December 2013, 08:57
Cadet, SW. Regulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
I also read today there is a box mag in development for the FS round .. that's nuts and IS a deal breaker if I get hit with one and his 7 buddies.
I call bullshit on that. Who can AFFORD enough FS rounds to fill a box mag? This whole argument is stupid, yes FS rounds are dangerous but here are some other things dangerous about paintball that I have experienced personally and could potentially be deal breakers for new players.

Overshot by an idiot with a 30BPS speedball marker.
Shot in the back of the head by a nervous kid on my own team.
Shot in the throat at 30 feet (remember that one Gizmo?)
Shot in the ear - went deaf for about 10 minutes (Muddy did that one)
CQB turns into a disagreement and then a shoving match
Shot in the nuts, twice (no, I don't wear a cup)
Ran across No Man's Land and got lit up by 20 people (SuperGame last year)

Its a dangerous sport, that's why its fun! If you want to play it safe, hit the Golf course.
Old 5th December 2013, 15:03
Lieutenant, SW Regulator

@Bare-It

My work people thought I had a hickey

@Lagos

Yes, we all know that the sport is dangerous in itself, but the point I was trying to make was that just because you can fire it out of a paintball marker, doesn't make it a paintball. I mean, what's on the tip of it? A small weight?

I don't think they should be on the field. If you use them, fine, but so help the player that bunkers me with one of those things in their barrel.